Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Semi-Random Research


Randy Seaver, of Genea-Musings
1)  We're going to do a little bit of Semi-Random Research tonight...
2)  Go to your family tree database of choice (you know, like RootsMagic, Reunion, Ancestry Member Tree), and determine who the very last person on your list of names is.
3)  What do you know about this person based on your research?  It's OK to do more if you need to - in fact, it's encouraged!
4)  How are you related to this person, and why is s/he in your family tree?
5)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blogpost, or in a Facebook Status post or Google+ Stream post.


My very last person in my tree in the person list is Georgianna "Georgia" May ZINN.  

Who on earth is she, I wondered?  Married someone way down in collaterals in my Kuhn line.

My RootsMagic6 relationship calculator determined (in about 1 second) that Georgia is married to my 5th Cousin-once-removed, Louis/Lewis Francis KUHN.  So many Kuhn people in my family tree - they settled in Pennsylvania, arriving in approximately 1732.  I have yet to find a specific place of origin.

Our common ancestor is  John KUHN, b. about 1696 in Bavaria? ?Wurtemberg? Schlaitdorf?  We don't really know exactly where.  That's another blog or three right there, trying to find more of our KUHN line and their wives.

My research on Georgia is limited to on-line trees (2) and several Censuses.  The 1910 Census in Pennsylvania shows her living with her younger sister Arline and her parents George & Anne Zinn.  Her father is stated to be working as a Superintendent, Cemetery!  George, her father, states he was born in Pennsylvania, and that his father was born in Germany, mother in Pennsylvania.  Her mother, Anne, states she was born in Pennsylvania, as were both her mother and father.

You were born, show up with your parents and a younger sister in 1910, get married between censuses to my 5th Cousin-once-removed, Lewis Francis Kuhn, had your first child, a son (named after his father) who was 7 months old at the time of the 1920 Census.  Georgia, I'm afraid I know very little about you, and there's very little available in a quick scan of possible records.

The reason you are in my tree at all, is because there were so many repetitions of names in this extended family that I wasn't always certain I had the correct direct ancestor when I was looking at various records and gravestone inscriptions and burial records.  Louis Joseph, Joseph, Henry Joseph, Louis, John Francis, etc.  I followed some names down 4-6 generations to see who was who.

I suspect that her parents may have come from near the same area where my KUHN ancestors came from.  One day, I may dig a bit deeper in several of these collateral lines to see if there's a cross-over back there in perhaps Wurtemberg.  

One more Saturday Night Genealogy Fun completed

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had fun with this challenge to! I also have a Kuhn line. The John your referring to wouldn't happen to be Johann Conrad Kuhn who married Anna Margaretha Curring? They married about 1712 in NY.

Celia Lewis said...

Oh Kim - that would be too easy, wouldn't it!! My John Kuhn (all possible spelling variations) apparently came over in about 1732 with wife Anna Barbara Adams and their 4 children - and settled around Goshenhoppen, then eventually settling around Macungie, and Conawago in Adams County. My line descends from the second son, John George Kuhn & his wife Catherine Riffel.
But, of course, one reason they may have come over would be from hearing of others who had settled, so ... one never knows if your Kuhn is a distant cousin of sorts! I'm told Kuhn is almost equivalent to Smith for frequency as a surname! Sigh. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Kim.

Unknown said...

Ah well it would have been nice if they matched! lol I'm working on a Smith line right now. Oy that's so much fun. ;)

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis