William was the eldest son of five known children of Anthony & Jane [unknown surname] GHOLSON; Anthony also was born in Virginia apparently, so I'm not certain yet of the original settler in the GHOLSON line. All the children were apparently born in one of the precursors of Spotsylvania county, VA since Spotsylvania was not formed until December 1720. As Spotsylvania was formed from 3 other counties, it is quite confusing to research this family line! Checking this page [previous link] I see more research ideas for the area. My early research was done following clues on a very detailed history of the GHOLSON line on RootsWeb, plus a few land records.
William was born about 1705, and in about 1728 he married Susanna COLLINS, b. 5 Dec 1709, daughter of Joseph & Susanna COLLINS. It is difficult to be certain of their children, and there are some unusual gaps in years of birth. To date, these seem to be the children:
- Lewis, b. abt 1730 - controversial addition to this line; more research needed
- Anthony [direct ancestor, named after gr-fa], b. abt 1733, m. abt 1759 Elizabeth [unknown]; 12 children - our line follows eldest, a son, Francis and wife Mary CRAIG.
- Frederick, b. abt 1736
- John, b. abt 1740
- Francis, b. abt 1742 or 1752
- James, b. abt 1743
- William Jr., b. abt 1758 [Susanna lived to about 1785, so the gap between the last two children remains unexplained]; m. Mary Jarrel.
- four or five daughters... still searching for a record detailing their names - his final will?