Earlier Pettygrove families spelled their surname variously: as Pettegrew or Pettigrew, later as Pettigrove, and in my recent ancestors, as Pettygrove. All variants are found currently in the United States. Because the name appears to be of French origin, some have assumed that Francis came from France, but this assumption has not been proven. Perhaps long before Francis was born, a French Pettigrew settled in England?
Francis PETTYGROVE was apparently born about 1669 in Kittery. In 20 Oct 1706, he married, first, Elizabeth BALL Hammons, the widow of Edward Hammons. Elizabeth's parents were John Ball and wife, Joan/Joanna. Elizabeth brought to the marriage her daughter by Edward, Joanna Hammons, b. 20 Apr 1701.
Francis and Elizabeth had 7 children that we are aware of, born in Kittery:
- Mary, b 12 Oct 1707, m. Francis Allen
- John, b 3 Dec 1708, m. Mary____
- Francis, b 27 Jan 1709/10, m. Elizabeth Hutchins
- *Thomas [ancestor], b 27 Sep 1713, m. Mary HUTCHINS 12 Feb 1729/30, 9 children
- William, b 29 Jun 1716, m. Lydia (?Ball); Wm d. abt 1748
- Joseph, b 20 Sep 1719, d. bef 1747
- Benjamin, b 9 Jun 1723