I'm writing about this ancestor because a very distant cousin recently asked for more information on the family line of GOODENOW. Which immediately stimulated me to do more research on the line, of course. Does that happen to you as well? Here's the bit of information I've been able to find so far on John GOODENOW (Capt.) - who wasn't quite as "good enough" as he should have been!
Above excerpts taken from the book: Sex in Middlesex: Popular Mores in a Massachusetts County, 1649-1699, Roger Thompson, 1986, Univ of Massachusetts Press.
John GOODENOW immigrated (aged 3) to Massachusetts on the ship, Confidence, in 1638, with his parents, Edmund and Anne, with younger brother Thomas (1 yr old). The family were from Dunhead, Wiltshire, England, and came over with several other Goodenow families from other areas.
John GOODENOW married (1) Mary AXTELL on 19 Sep 1656 in Sudbury, MA. Mary was bap 25 Sep 1639 in Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, England. She apparently had a very lengthy illness, before she died 14 Apr 1704. John & Mary had the following 12 children, all born in Sudbury, MA:
- Hannah, b. 15 Dec 1657, d. 22 Nov 1691
- Mary, b. 19 Oct 1659, d. 2 Aug 1687
- Edmund, b. 16 Oct 1661, d. 31 May 1727
- Sarah, b. 26 Feb 1664, d. 1724
- Dorothy, b. abt 1668, m. John Peckham 9 Dec 1687
- John [jr], b. 9 Sep 1670, d. 24 Feb 1736
- Elizabeth, b. 18 Nov 1672, d. 9 May 1736
- *Joseph [ancestor], b. 1 Dec 1674, d. 3 Sep 1758; m. abt 1700 to Patience BENT 1700, 6 children known
- Ebenezar, b. 6 Jun 1677
- Lydia, b. 18 Oct 1678, d. 21 Apr 1679
- Mary/Mercy, b. 8 Nov 1680, d. 1 Sep 1710