Here is Elizabeth MARSHALL,the wife of well-known gentleman, Thomas TROWBRIDGE. She was the 5th of 12 children of John MARSHALL & Alice BEVYS, from Exeter, Devonshire, England. John MARSHALL was a well-known and wealthy merchant in Exeter, as were the Bevys family. Alice BEVYS' father, Richard, was Sheriff of Exeter in 1591, Governor of the Guild Merchant Adventurers (1594) [I love this name!], Mayor in 1602, dying later that same year.
Elizabeth was baptised 24 Mar 1602 in Exeter Cathedral, Exeter, Devonshire. Her parents are known to be John MARSHALL & Alice BEVYS. However there is an apparent contradiction in the St. Mary Arches parish register of her 1627 marriage to Thomas Trobrige where she is called "the daughter of Mr. Alec Marshall widow". This is a mis-transcribing of Alys Marshall (i.e., Mrs. Alice BEVYS Marshall), widowed several years prior to Elizabeth's marriage).
Elizabeth and Thomas had the following children, the first four born in Exeter, Devon, England:
- Elizabeth, bap 6 Mar 1627/28, buried 10 May 1630
- John, bap 5 Nov 1629, d. 1653 in Taunton, Eng.
- Thomas, bap 11 Dec 1631, d. 22 Aug 1702 in New Haven CT; m. 24 Jun 1657 to Sarah Rutherford, 8 children; m. 2nd abt 1688 to Hannah Nash Ball, 1 dau.
- William [direct ancestor], bap. 3 Sep 1633, d. Nov 1690 West Haven CT; m. 9 Mar 1654/55 in Milford CT to Elizabeth LAMBERTON Selivant [widow]; 10 children
- James, b. 1636 in Dorchester MA, d. May 1717
Sometimes my Blogger account seems not to allow me to "reply" to your comments. Do know that I value your comments immensely. You make my day! Thanks for stopping by to read my personal genealogy posts.