Monday, March 6, 2017

George W. TERWILLIGER, The Duchess, and their Son

It seems as there is at least one George Walter TERWILLIGER in every generation in the TERWILLIGER line, and here we have two on one photograph. Don't they look happy?

Possibly this was taken in late December 1940s before George II married [c.1950]. Likely George and Hazel [his Duchess] were in Florida where the Terwilliger couple lived after residing in Beverley Hills, LA, California.

This photo was found in my grandmother's odds and ends, tucked into an old battered trunk. I'm so glad I found it, and scanned it for my digital files.

On the back of the photo - in possibly George Sr's writing:
George Sr.  George II & 
"The Duchess"
G.II. back in the Navy
But flew in today for Xmas.
Praise the Lord & the Air Lines.

George Sr. 1882-1970, was my GrandUncle, the brother of my grandmother, Marguerite "Daisy" Josephine TERWILLIGER, [also known as GrandPete rather than Grandmother].

George's younger brother, Harold "Hal" married a Countess [her first busband was Count Van Duisburg]. Thus the inside joke re his wife, Hazel, being "The Duchess."

Their son, George II, 1924-1883... I know he married and had two children, a girl, and a boy named George of course! We've lost touch with this line of the family, I'm sorry to say. After my Grandmother married Charles E. KUHN in New Jersey, and the family moved about 1912 to Vancouver area in British Columbia, I haven't found any letters or photos from them. George II would be my 1st cousin 1x removed, his son George, my 1st cousin 2x removed.

Possibly someone in the family will see this post and contact me... Perhaps they have a few interesting photographs of the Terwilliger family as well. I'm dreaming, but it's possible!

               ============= // ===================== // ==============

My contact information is all the way at the bottom of the blogs on this page. Do contact me if you have any information to share, or questions. The Terwilliger family goes back to New Amsterdam in 1663 when the first immigrant came over to the colony. The TERWILLIGER name was a made-in-America surname, and we are all related, no matter how it is spelled.  They originally used patronymics, but by 1690, all of this family group had a surname more or less Terwilliger.

Thank you for stopping by to read my genealogy/family history blog. My blogger account is not allowing me to reply to your comments on this blog, but do know that I appreciate all readers and commenters!  You absolutely make my day.

No comments:

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis