On Christmas eve night, when we went to bed, the three of us carefully put out our stockings by the tree in the living room, and toddled off to bed. Of course, we were told NOT to come back downstairs until Christmas morning - AFTER 6 a.m.!!
Almost every year, our stockings had the following items:
- a mandarin orange or two down at the bottom, in the toe of the sock
- a puzzle - hand-held ones where you have to put tiny balls into sockets, or you have to figure out how to un-hook two pieces of twisted metal pieces
- a book - or a comic when we were young
- a piece of candy and/or a candy cane
- a piece of clothing: usually panties or socks; nylons when we were older (with garter belt, of course); and the Christmas morning I got my first [whisper] bra - memorable!
- maybe a piece of jewelry like a bracelet, or a pair of costume jewelry earrings
- a pen and something to write in
- a special present of some sort