Monday, June 30, 2014

52 ANCESTORS in 52 WEEKS, #27: Elizabeth CAMPION 1833-1899 Canada

Following the challenge of writing 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, issued by Amy Johnson Crow , here is my 27th installment, Elizabeth CAMPION, wife of Charles LEWIS, my ex-husband's great-grandmother.

Elizabeth was born approximately 1833 in County Cork, Ireland.  She was apparently the eldest child of the 10 living children of Arthur Gifford CAMPION and his wife, Ellen (surname unknown). According to their death registrations, Arthur was born in Bristol, England; Ellen, in County Cork, Ireland. 

The Campion family appear to have lived in Ireland after marrying, and emigrated to Canada West approximately 1843-1844, judging from birthplaces of the 10 children - the first 5 born in Ireland, the remaining 5 born in Canada West.  I have not found them on any passenger lists as yet.

Elizabeth married Charles LEWIS, a neighbouring blacksmith, in about 1853, in Earnestown, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario.  Note that Earnestown was later renamed Bath. They had the following eight children:

  1. Isaac Charles [direct ancestor], b. 20 July 1855 Bath ON; in 3 Dec 1885 in Winnipeg MB m. Alma Jane AIKEN; d. 17 Apr 1937 Vancouver BC; 7 children
  2. Arthur, b. abt 1857 ON
  3. William, b. abt 1859 ON
  4. Ellen Arminia, b. Feb 1860, ON; in 1 Dec 1887 Brandon MB m. James Carrick Miller; 2 children
  5. Frederick Allen, b. 25 Apr 1863 ON;  in 13 Jun 1894 Brandon MB m. Isabella Lockeridge; 8 children
  6. Richard, b. abt 1865 ON
  7. Charles, b. abt 1868 ON
  8. Eva Maria, b. 2 Jun 1870 ON; in 20 Jun 1894 Brandon MB m. Alexander C. Davidson; 5 children
I have been unable to find information on most of the boys in the family, unfortunately. Their names are too common, and I haven't been confident I have the correct persons. More research to do!

By 1891, the LEWIS family had left Ontario and moved to Brandon Manitoba, where Charles and Elizabeth remained.  Several children eventually settled in British Columbia.  

Elizabeth died at the age of only 66 years of "heart trouble" lasting 12 hours (a severe heart attack), on 10 Aug 1899 in Brandon, Manitoba.  She is buried in Brandon Municipal Cemetery, with a lovely large obelisk marking her full name. Her husband is also buried here and his details are on the same obelisk on the other side.  Charles died aged 84, on 16 Feb 1913 in Saanich (Victoria) BC, apparently visiting daughter Ellen (Lewis) Miller. 

Hopefully one day I will be able to find Elizabeth's birthplace, possibly in County Cork where her mother was born.  

If you have further information or questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via calewis at telus dot net, or in the Comments below.  I appreciate all comments and corrections! 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello
I found this post while doing research on Isaac lewis and family. Please note that Charles Lewis (1887 - 1912) is also buried in Mountain View Cemetery but in a different section than siblings. other family members are also buried in this cemetery. See Find A Grave Memorial# 26302922 for Charles. (still working on finding the rest.)

Celia Lewis said...

Thank you "PE Islander" - yes, I'm aware of this burial memorial but it is for a entirely different Charles LEWIS, b. 1887 d. 1912.
See FindAGrave Memorial #81589903 for Brandon MB for the Charles LEWIS Sr. 1828-1913, d. in Saanich BC. Charles LEWIS Sr. had a younger son (7th of 8 children) also named Charles of course, b. abt 1868, d. young.
Charles LEWIS Sr 1828-1913: eldest son, Isaac Charles LEWIS, who eventually moved with most of his family to Vancouver BC. Isaac's youngest son Charles William LEWIS (1901-1952) was my ex-husband's father, so we have lots of information on this family and siblings.
Yes, there are a few other related individuals I've found in MountainView Cemetery - which is about a 10 minute walk from my home.
This post was made 3 years ago, and I have much more information on the CAMPION family back to mid 1600s in County Cork, Ireland. Not much more on the LEWIS family - I'm hoping for some sort of breakthrough, possibly to a UEL connection, as goes the Lewis mythology.

If you are related to Isaac LEWIS family, do please contact me so we may share information - I have turned into the family genealogist [teach genealogy too], and I would love to connect. My email address is at the bottom of my blog - just keep scrolling.
Cheers - Celia Lewis

Celia Lewis said...

Another comment from me, Celia Lewis [sorry, Blogger is not allowing me to 'reply' to you!]

On Charles LEWIS 1913 death registration (I have a copy) it states that the "Place of burial ...Brandon" The undertaker for this burial was the Victoria undertakers, Hanna & Thomson.

Charles LEWIS's son-in-law James C. Miller was the informant for the information about Charles; his information about Charles father and mother was "not known" Sigh. Brick wall!
- Celia

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis