Tuesday, July 22, 2014

52 ANCESTORS in 52 WEEKS, #30: Jabez HEALY, 1763-1838

Following the challenge of writing 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, issued by Amy Johnson Crow , here is my 30th installment, Jabez HEALY, my ex-husband's 3rd great-grandfather. 

Jabez (or Jabes) HEALY was the 8th child, 5th boy, of parents Joshua HEALY Jr and Sarah NEWELL; Jabez was b. 29 Sep 1763 in Dudley MA. 

At the age of 16 years, Jabez served during the Revolutionary War, while living in Massachusetts [Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, Vol.7, page 658].  This also states he was 16 years old, 5'6" tall, and had a dark complexion.  So young.  I wonder how his mother felt about her youngest son heading out to battle at that age. According to one story, he lost a leg in the war, and he became a shoemaker.  Click on this link and scroll down the page for more information on the work of a shoemaker in early Vermont.

He married Grace BAILEY 28 Nov 1785; her parents were Joshua Bailey & Abigail Clapp, and Grace was b. 7 Feb 1765 in Hanover MA. 

Jabez and Grace appear to have moved to Shoreham Vermont shortly after they married.  I am having difficulty teasing out their children, which surprised me.  Apparently there was another Jabez Healy (or two or three) and they seemed to be having similarly-named children. Notes about Jabez [public trees, from a family bible] indicate he had up to 11 children with Grace, and more children with the next 2 wives; I do not have their names.  FamilySearch shows a number of Healy family histories I could dig through, as I continue to search other records in both Vermont and New York.

To date I have only two children I am certain of:

1.  Ezra, b. 14 Mar 1790, Shoreham, VT
2. Calvin [ancestor], b. abt 1801, Shoreham VT, m. 29 Dec 1825 to Mary OLIN; 7 children

The 1800 Census of Shoreham VT shows 8 household members, 6 under 16, 2 over 25 [parents].  My big question is to keep searching for names of those young'uns!  Clearly Calvin, the direct line ancestor, had many siblings.  

By 1805, the family had moved from Vermont to Potsdam, New York.  (scroll down for names of early settlers in Potsdam, including Jabes [sic] Healy).  

Jabez' first wife, Grace, died 3 Jul 1811 in Potsdam.  He apparently remarried at least twice more, having more children, but I don't have any details as yet.  He remained in the region, moving to nearby Parishville, where he is found on the 1830 Census, living with one of his married children.  

Jabez died 1 Dec 1838 in Potsdam, New York, and is buried in Grant Cemetery, Potsdam, New York, where his first wife, Grace, is also buried.  The cemetery is also known as South Potsdam Cemetery.

If you have further information, or questions, on this particular Jabez HEALY, do contact me via calewis at telus dot net, or in the Comments below.  I appreciate any corrections or suggestions - this is a work constantly in progress.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am also a direct descendant of Jabez Healy and his son Ezra

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis