Sunday, February 16, 2020

52Ancestors: Joshua HORTON [sr] 1643-1729, 2nd generation

Continuing the   #52Ancestors  challenge by genealogist Amy Johnson Crow, here is the senior Joshua HORTON, born 1643 in Southold, Suffolk, [Long Island], New York.  Southold was founded in 1640 by Puritans from New Haven Connecticut colony, directly across the Long Island Sound. 

Joshua is my 8th great-grandfather, 9th to my children, 10th to grandchildren. 

Joshua is the 3rd of 7 children of Barnabas HORTON and his second wife, Mary LANGTON. Barnabas married first to Anne Smith in Leicestershire, England, about 1623, and they had 3 children; she died shortly after their 3rd child in 1628. 

Joshua HORTON was born in 1643 in Southold, on Long Island, New York.  Approximately 1665, he married Mary Tuttle/TUTHILL who had been born approximately 1647.  Her parents are suggested to have been John & Joan Tuttle, but this has not yet been proven.  Several online trees suggest they were Henry and Bridget Tuttle, but there are significant differences in children's names making this couple not proven. 

Children of Joshua and Mary, all born in the town of Southold, all birthdates are only approximate: 
    1.  Elizabeth, b. 1665
    2.  Joshua [jr] [ancestor],  b. 1669, d. 1744 Elizabethtown NJ; m.
            Elizabeth GROVER, about 1690; 8 known children  

    3.  Joseph, b. 1671  
    4.  Sarah, b. 1673
    5.  Bethia, b. 1679
    6.  Ephraim, b. 1686
    7.  Mary, b. 1687
    8.  Zerviah  [or Zeruiah], [female] b. 1689

Note the approximate 6 year gap between the 5th and 6th children, perhaps due to one [or more] unknown child's death.  

I have a long list of further suggested research, mainly at the NEHGS site, American Ancestors, for wills, probates, land records, taxes, and additional church records. I have no marriages nor death records for the children other than my direct ancestor. Hopefully by next year I may have found more and relevant records!  

This family descends by marriage through my BUELL line, and then to the TERWILLIGER LINE. 
=== / === / === / === / === / === / === 

If these are your ancestors, I am happy to share what little I have on these ancestors. And if there are errors, please do let me know, via calewis at telus dot net, or in the Comments below and I will get back to you either by email or in the Comments. I appreciate the opportunity to correct any issues in these family trees.

Blogger - or my computer - is still not letting me "reply" to your comments, for some unknown reason. If I don't reply to your Comment, please know that I'm totally thrilled you came to read my post and commented!  You truly make my day!!

No comments:

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis